Thursday, October 20, 2016

Mojave Desert
(or I Learned Something New Today)
Now, as many of you know, Jeff & I live in the high desert in New Mexico, so you would think I would know about deserts.  You would think.  But, as I found today, sometimes those ideas one had as a child are stronger than reality.  So, let me share with you what I learned about the Mojave Desert today, as we drove thru it.  I also must add a disclaimer – all these photos were taken with my cell camera while driving in the RV, so they most likely aren’t up to my normal quality, but they certainly serve the purpose!
Mojave Desert View
Lesson 1:  Where’s the sand?
This is the part where I should have known better, since I live in the desert that has no real sand, but, for some reason, when I always thought of the Mojave Desert, I pictured sand dunes all over the place.  Now, I’m not saying I expected Lawrence of Arabia to come galloping over a dune riding his camel, but you get my point.  (By the way, do camels gallop?).  But, as you can see from this image, there’s an awful lot of green!
Mojave Drive View
Lesson 2: It’s not flat.
Except for sand dunes that shift with the wind, I thought the Mojave would be pretty darn flat.  But, the land sort of rolls with minor hills and valleys all over the place.  That was surprising to me.
Mountains in the Desert
Lesson 3: Not only is it not flat, there are mountains all around!
And, as we drove thru the Mojave Desert, we drove thru the Bristol Mountains!  Everywhere I looked, there were mountains!  Amazing!  So, today, I learned about the Mojave Desert, and my illusions were given a major adjustment!  But, it’s always fun to learn something new, or something we should have known!
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment