Monday, October 4, 2021

Bryce Canyon National Park

 

Bryce Canyon National Park

Our next stop on our travels this fall was a repeat visit to Bryce Canyon National Park.  We had previously visited Bryce several years ago.  This time around, I thought I’d try to take some images from a different angle or focused on something other than the traditional view.  However, I wasn’t always successful, as the traditional views are sometimes what takes your breath away!


On the road into Bryce, there are a couple of tunnels cut out of the rock formation.  Here’s one – kind of amazing when you consider how hard that rock looks!!


One of the ways to see Bryce is to drive up to the furthest point and work your way back.  That’s what we did.  The furthest point is also the highest point.  Here are some views of Rainbow Point, elevation 9915 feet.  From several viewpoints, it’s quite the sight to see!


Our next stop wasn’t a formal stop, but the view looked quite beautiful, so we decided to stop anyway!  I do like the way the pines grow right up to the sheer cliffs.


The next stop was Black Birch Canyon, elevation 8,750 feet.  I walked a bit away from the established viewing area, just for a slightly different perspective.  I was caught by surprise at this stop, too, as Max (unseen in the images) managed to squeeze out the back window of the Jeep to come and help me.  I was more worried about him getting too close to the edge of the area where I was to be able to appreciate his help!!


The next formal stop was at Ponderosa Point, elevation 8904 feet.  I’m wondering if it was named that due to the pines that peeked up in places.  You can also see the beginning of the hoo-doos in the image on the left.


Aqua Canyon, at 8800 feet in elevation, was our next stop.  In addition to the pines, there was an interesting rock formation, generally called a balanced rock, although they didn’t identify it at this stop.


Natural Bridge (elevation 8627 feet) is actually a natural arch, but for whatever reason, this national park calls it a bridge. It looks remarkably like the tunnel in the first image, I think, altho this one is absolutely not man-made.


I think that Farview Point (elevation 8819 feet) is named appropriately named, as there really isn’t a close-up view to be had!!  I really do like the pines intermingled with the rock formation.


Inspiration Point (elevation 8100 feet) is showing off more of the hoo-doos that Bryce is famous for, and if you look closely, you can see what look like a dirt road running at the floor of the canyon.  No, it’s not a road, it’s a hiking trail, probably a backpacking one that takes a day or so to travel completely.

Paria View (elevation 8195) is just down the road a bit from Inspiration Point.  You can even see that hiking trail in each of the images.  And, there are some hoo-doos in these formations, too.


I really like this angle at Paria View.  The dead tree limbs in the foreground really adds a nice perspective.


There was a stop we missed – Sunset Point.  There were far too many folks there, and no place to park, so we moved on to Sunrise Point (elevation 8115 feet).  This point is the place that many folks visit very early in the morning in order to be able to photograph the sunrise reflected off these hoo-doos.  We obviously weren’t here at sunrise this time around, but we’ve done it in the past.


Here are a couple of images of the beginning of a trail known as Queen’s Garden Trail, right along Sunrise Point.  This trail takes you down to the canyon floor, over 300 feet below the surface where these images were taken.  You get to look up at the hoo-doos, which is a sight to see!  However, you then have to hike up the 300+ feet.  I did this trail last time we were here, and doing this hike at 8115 feet in elevation was probably the dumbest thing I’ve ever done, considering my asthma.  I know Jeff was concerned that I wouldn’t make it back without help from the park rangers.  I was afraid of that as well and hated the thought!  I did make it, with many, many stops to catch my breath!!


Finally, here’s the iconic view of the hoo-doos at Sunrise Point.  They are incredible to see, even if it wasn’t sunrise!!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment