Monday, November 21, 2016

Cholla Garden in Joshua Tree National Park
In one section of Joshua Tree National Park, there is a sort of grove of cholla plants growing.  We stopped for a few minutes because these cholla seemed to almost glow!  We have cholla in New Mexico where we live, but neither Jeff nor I can recall seeing this type.  Perhaps it was just the way the sun was hitting them, but it was really sort of magical!
Cholla Garden
This was the view from the road that made us stop.  The cholla doesn’t look quite as “glowy” in this image as it did in reality, but it was enough to make us stop.  I also love the way the mountains in the background set off the cholla.
Cholla Glow
Now you can see what I mean by “glow”! I believe this variety of cholla is called “teddy bear”.  It looks sort of nice and soft and fuzzy, but don’t touch!!  The barbs of this plant are incredibly painful.  And, there’s another variety, called Jumping Cholla that actually seems to leap off the plant and attach to you if you get too close.  Needless to say, we kept our distance from this pretty, but prickly plants!
Up Close Glow
No, I didn’t get closer – I just used my zoom lens!  In this image, you can better see the barbs contained within the “glowing” branches of this plant.  I did really like the effect of the glow, tho!
Ouch!
I guess if the cholla doesn’t get you, the bees will!  I think we were a bit late in the season for bees, but the sign is always there to warn folks.  I never knew bees were in the desert, and I guess that’s part of the reason for the warning.  The bees are always seeking water, so if you are there and have water handy, the bees will find you!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment