Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Fossil Cliffs and Cape d’Or Lighthouse
One day while in Nova Scotia, we decided to visit Fossil Cliffs and the Cape d’Or Lighthouse.  On the way to Fossil Cliffs, we got detoured, and Jeff noticed something interesting sitting on top on a telephone pole an osprey in her nest.
Bothered Mama Osprey
I got out of the Jeep to take some photos of her in her nest.  Altho she was many, many feet above me (maybe 100 feet or more), she was quite bothered by my being there below her in her nest.  She started soaring around me, slowly circling lower and lower.  I got some really great shots and got back in the Jeep before she was able to get her talons into me.  
Upset with Me
When we did get to Fossil Cliffs, we were a bit disappointed.  The stairs that went down to the actual beach at the base of the Cliffs, were recently wiped out by the tide.  Remember, we’re along the Bay of Fundy, and the tides can be quite amazing and powerful.  We went down as far as we could, and I was able to get these 2 shots.  The one on the left is a close up of a section of the cliffs.  This layered structure of the cliffs allows for the fossils to form.  The image on the right is an actual fossil of some leaves from eons ago.
Fossil Cliffs
We then moved on and I got a great image of Cape d’Or Lighthouse.  It’s not often that I can stand above a lighthouse.  I really love the angle of this image.  It gives you a real sense of the setting of this lighthouse.  And, the quality of the natural light is just wonderful here.
Cape d’Or Shoreline
We did drive down to the lighthouse and I walked out a bit from it to capture a look of the shoreline.  The cliffs are so dramatic, and I love the contrast of the colors of the cliff with the beach and water, sky and a touch of the grass I’m standing on.
Cape d’Or Shoreline View
And, a bonus!  An extra lighthouse!  This isn’t a “real” lighthouse.  It’s the real lighthouse (built in 1913), but this is not the original location of it.  As close as Jeff and I could figure, it originally stood about 6 miles from this location.  The islands in the background are the 5 islands for which the lighthouse is named.  An interesting side note check out the large island with the tiny island right next to it.  The two were connected by an arch, but that collapsed in 2015.
Five Islands Lighthouse
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment