Thursday, October 18, 2018

Deserted History
There was one building that caught my eye as we walked down Main Beach Rd. in Apia.  It was a deserted building, which, of course, are some of my favorite photo subjects.  But, there was something different about this building.  I had some true history to attach to it, and didn’t have to use my imagination.

Samoa became an independent country in 1962.  Before that, it was under the control of Germany from 1899 1914, and then New Zealand from 1914 1962.  In the above photo you can see the celebration of its independence which occurred right in front of the old courthouse, this building!

Today, tho, the windows are mostly covered and intact, altho a few have the panes gone.  Interestingly, they weren’t broken out in a jagged fashion just seemingly removed.

And, altho the driveway to the main entrance is blocked off by rocks, there are still some native flowers growing along the front walk around sort of porch of the building.

I’m not certain the balcony would be safe to stand on any longer, but I did use my imagination for this image, and pictured politicians making speeches announcing the formal declaration of independence.

And, finally, I took one last look at this historic deserted building.  Notice, no graffiti artists have “decorated” the walls or anything.  It’s almost as if the people of Apia still respect the history of this building, even tho it’s deserted.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment