Sunday, March 12, 2017

Around the Campground
Jeff & I brought our pedal assist bikes on this trip, and a couple of times we took a ride around the campground.  Here are a few views from our temporary home away from home!
Picnic
We passed a picnic area, and looking at it, reminded me of times past when Jeff & I enjoyed picnics in the Midwest, and before that, picnics that I enjoyed with my family when I was much younger.  It wasn’t so long ago that it necessarily warranted this sepia/vintage touch, but the effect just kind of brought my memory into focus! 
Daytime View
Our campground looked onto the Bouquillas Mountains and Bouquillas Canyon walls.  This is the view of those mountains/wall during the day with the blue skies and lush greenery in the foreground.  The mountains look somewhat grey at this time of day.
Golden Bluffs
And, here is the same view at what I think of as the “golden hour”, as the sun is setting.  The sun’s rays really bring out the different color tones in the walls of the canyon – almost like stripes.  The dark brush in the foreground now appear in silhouette. 
Javelina Grazing
 A number of javelinas would visit the campground area in the evenings to get in a little grazing.  I always thought javelinas were wild boars or hogs of some sort, but they are not part of the pig family and their formal name is peccary. At times have also been referred to as skunk pigs.  I had never seen any before, and found out the reason for that is that they primarily live in Central and South America, an only in the southwest in the US.  They are usually 3-4 feet in length and weigh between 40 -80 pounds.  They were totally unconcerned that campers found them quite the sight to see, as you can tell by the photos above and below!  Only interested in grazing!
Pack of Javelinas
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment