Saturday, February 3, 2018

Drive to Lahaina
On our first full day on Maui, we decided to drive to Lahaina, a very touristy town on the island.  Now, we’re staying on the opposite side of the island, so it does involve a bit of driving, but nothing’s all that far on Maui. As we headed to the other side of the island, I noticed this surfer guy battling to stay up on his board.  I have to hand it to surfers or paddle boarders.  I just don’t have the balance and strength to stay upright when all the elements are trying to get you off that board and into the water!
Surfer Guy
Just after we saw the surfer guy, as I think of him, there was this very cool sight with the waves just continuously rolling into the shore, just outside of the town of Kahului.  If you’ve ever been to Maui, you’ve been to Kahului, as that’s where the airport is.
Beautiful Surf Outside of Kahului
We also thought we’d first check out a possible snorkeling site before heading to Lahaina, so we headed to Po’olenalena Beach, in what’s considered South Maui, I think.  Altho the beach is great, I had my doubts about my ability to keep from being swept into the lava rocks that are off to the side of the beach.  Of course, that’s where I read the best snorkeling is.  Hmmmm……the best snorkeling before hospitalization??
Po’olenalena Beach
Before we actually got to the beach, we saw the first of the wild chickens of Maui actually, I think the wild chickens are all over Hawaii.  Altho there are apparently a few stories of how they arrived in Hawaii, the one that seems to be the correct one is that they were originally brought over in canoes by the Polynesians (from Malaysia).  Frankly, the story I like best is that a chicken farm was blown away by Hurricane Iniki in 1992, and these are the decedents of those relocated chickens!!
Wild Chicken of Hawaii
As we made our way back to the car from the beach, and steered clear of the chicken, or rooster in this case, I noticed a couple of different pieces of nature.  The first was a beautiful, but very small, white flower blooming along the path we walked on.  I really thought the red-purple stamens were striking against the white petals.  The second was this cool branch that Jeff actually noticed first when I looked at it I saw what looked to be a sort of design of a mountain from where the limb was cut or broke off.  I thought the black mark reminded me of a spider web, too.  A natural piece of abstract art?
Beachside Bloom
Natural Wood Abstract
We stopped at a few lookout points as we drove up the coast to Lahaina.  All of them had beautiful views of the coast.  We did see a whale surface, but nothing as spectacular as a breech or anything.  Yes, I could have taken a photo of it, and then pointed out the speck that was a whale, but I wasn’t sure you’d believe me!! 
Looking Down the Coast
Once we were in Lahaina, we had to go see the big Banyon tree that’s in a town park.  There’s a historic courthouse behind the tree, but the tree definitely takes center stage!  I did photograph it to try to capture the size of it, and then I had to walk under it, and shoot looking up!
Big Banyon Tree
Under the Banyon Tree
After lunch there a great Southwest Wrap done Maui style, we wandered around a bit shopping & doing the tourist thing!  Then, heading home, we came upon this great huge tree stump and root that must have been tossed on shore after some sort of storm, I’m guessing.  I actually saw it as we were driving to Lahaina, but Jeff said we’d stop on the way back, as the traffic was so crazy busy, it would be next to impossible to turn left out of there.  True to his word, he did stop and I got to take some images of this very cool tree (or what remains of it).
Looking Out to Sea
Natural Window
Then, as I was almost getting into the Jeep, I noticed this great tree, growing ever so strong and true, right along the sandy shore.  I have to close this post with an image of it.
Shoreline Tree
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment