Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Hana Road Waterfalls
One of the things that the Road to Hana is known for are the waterfalls – some easily visible, some a bit of a trek into the woods, and others totally hidden, and unavailable to me!  As you’ll see from this long post, altho some may be hidden, there are plenty   that are easily visible!
The first waterfall we saw required a bit of a trek into the woods.  If it hadn’t been described in the travel book I had, I would have totally missed this one.  It wasn’t very large, but it was a very sweet start to the waterfall show.
Peeking at Haipua’ena Falls
The next set of falls was along the road, but easy to miss because the falls face parallel to the road, and not toward the road.  The Hawaiian name of the falls is Waikani, but the other name is 3 Bears Falls.  I’ve seen this waterfall when the water is flowing heavily, and the 3 bears become one very large bear!  I think that in this case, less is most definitely more – the 3 delicate falls are just so lovely.  Also, if you look toward the ride side of the image, you’ll see a splash.  It almost looks like the start of a 4th bear!
Waikani – 3 Bears & a Splash
The next waterfall is the Hanawi Falls.  The interesting thing about this waterfall is that you can stand on the bridge, and look directly down on the falls as they crash over the edge into a small pool below.   The sunlight plays so pretty over the water in that pool, too.  Such pretty blue green color, and the water is incredibly clear.
Hanawi Falls on Hana Highway
I don’t know the name of this waterfall, but it was almost hidden and easy to miss as you drive along the road.  Jeff paid attention to the curves in the road, and I was responsible for spotting the waterfalls!  I had to walk back along the road across the bridge, and really sort of seek out the waterfall as it was sort of around an edge of the woods.  In this image, I slowed down the shutter speed so you can get an idea of how smoothly the water flowed over the various rocks along the way down.
Almost Hidden Waterfall on Hana Highway
Here’s another slow-motion waterfall shot.  I especially love the way the water flows on the bottom of the falls – just cascading gently over all the layers of rocks.
Grace on the Hana Highway
Here’s another waterfall that was hidden away – no, I didn’t have to walk thru the woods to get to it, but I did have to look closely into the woods, because it was hidden away in the darkness of the woods.  I love the slow gentle cascade flow of this very small, and very elegant waterfall.
Hidden Waterfall
This waterfall is the same one that I shared on my Facebook tease.  I love the way the waterfall is so gentle that it seems to almost disappear as it flows over the rocks.  From the tease, when you can see people at the base, this is a very tall waterfall. 
Waimoku Falls
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment