Friday, February 9, 2018

Waipoli Road
One day, we decided to follow another road that is very winding up on the mountain, Haleakala.  I had read that there was something at the very end that one would not expect to find on an island like Maui.  Sounded too intriguing to pass up!
At the beginning, we saw more of the Maui ranches that are around, if you are outside the more commercial end of the island.  In this case, we saw goats lots and lots of goats!!  I have to admit, I think this may be the largest number of goats I’d ever seen in one place.  I’m used to seeing one or two of them with horses, as companion animals, but not an entire tribe of goats yes, that’s what a group of goats is called!
Maui Ranch
The road was initially paved and I began to question what I had read.  But, then, the pavement ended, and we found ourselves on an unimproved dirt road that did keep winding up the mountain.  And, the terrain looked decidedly less and less like Maui, tropical island paradise!
Looks like the Pacific NW
Wow!  At the end of this winding road was a small state park, and a family was actually having a picnic in what was very chilly, damp and misty weather that I would expect more in the Pacific Northwest than in Maui.  What a diverse little island we’ve found ourselves on!  And, yes, we were in the middle of a stand of redwood trees!
Looking up the Redwoods
We walked around this lovely find, and I found some of what I think of as great moody photo op’s those involving mist!  There was a bit of a walk that lead down to a cabin that could be rented.  I guess if the folks living on Maui want to get away from a tropical paradise, they could rent this cabin at the end of Waipoli Road!
Misty Maui
I was actually quite surprised at how thick the forest was!  And, it was mostly wild no handy little trails to walk down.  The concession to folks being there was the clearing where they had a picnic pavilion built, and a porta-potty or two!  But, otherwise, it was lots and lots of trees!
Dense Woods
As we walked further down the road that led to the cabin, the mist in the trees got to be pretty darn thick.  It created the effect that I love mystery, depth, and even, if one were so inclined, a bit scary!!
Shadows
I just love how the mist plays tricks on my eyes and my mind.  As I stood there, watching the mist play in and out among the trees, I watched how trees with seemingly fade in and out of my view.  This type of scene makes me feel very peaceful.
Fading
And, of course, with all this moisture, there were some lovely flowers to be seen.  These, however, weren’t tropical blooms.  No, they were of a hardier type one that could withstand the chill and even cold that came from being rather high up the mountain.
Beautiful Green
Blooms in the Rainforest
On the way back down the mountain, I had one last few of the trees in the mist.  This was the view off a sort of run-off area of the road.  I certainly wouldn’t want to be on the wrong end of this run-off being full of water, flowing down from the top of the mountain!  Getting one’s car washed off the road into this would not be the makings of a good day!
Edge of the Washout
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment