Sunday, June 4, 2017

Schools and Scenes Around LBJ Ranch
Before we got to the LBJ Ranch, Jeff & I drove around and visited one of the last country schoolhouses in the area.  In addition, we saw some cool sites both outside and inside the ranch grounds.  Take a look….
Williams Creek Schoolhouse
The original schoolhouse was built in 1890-1891.  In 1897, the building of a stone structure was approved.  A frame addition was built in 1922, and the schoolhouse was expanded to 2 school rooms.  Former President, Lyndon Baines Johnson, attended this school for one year.  In the present day, this building serves as a community gathering area, for the town of Albert, Texas.
Old Texas Farmhouse
As we drove to the Williams Creek Schoolhouse, we came across this old farmhouse.  I took a few images, and picked my favorite to convert to a vintage piece.  I love the windmill next to the house.
Church Near LBJ Ranch
This church sits across the river from the LBJ Ranch.  In fact, I stood on the land of the ranch, when I took this image.  It truly seems like a little country church, very quiet and peaceful.
Animals on the Ranch
While on the LBJ Ranch, we found out the ranch is still a working ranch, in addition to being a National Historic Site. Horses seem the quintessential ranch animals, and the horses in this collage seem to be enjoying the perfect life for a horse.  The cattle are Herefords, the same type of cattle that were on the ranch when LBJ was President.  In fact, these cattle are descendants of the same cattle that LBJ had.
Wide Open LBJ Ranch
I don’t know how large the LBJ Ranch is, but this image conveys the expanse that LBJ and his family must have relished when they were there.  There are historical structures that we saw on the ranch, but these scenes are, to me, as important as those structures.
Soaring
When we were driving around, leaving the ranch, there was a bird that flew by our Jeep.  The long tail was what made it stand out for me.  I have since found out, thanks to friends, that it’s a Scissortail Flycatcher.  I thought the original image had a botanical drawing type of feel to it, and so I converted it to a pencil sketch. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment