Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Views from Georgia’s Studio & Bedroom
When we visited Georgia’s studio & got to peek into her bedroom, we weren’t allowed to photograph anything.  However, once we got outside, we were allowed to photograph views that truly inspired her.
Georgia’s Rock Collection
Georgia O’Keeffe had a fondness for collecting things when she went out on walks.  She’s widely known for the animal skulls she would pick up on her explorations.  However, I didn’t know she also would pick up rocks that caught her eye!  There are shallow bowls or stone carvings around her home full of the rocks she collected on her walks.  I chose this one to photograph, as it looked out onto some wonderful scenery just outside her studio door.
Georgia’s Bedroom View of The White Place
To take this shot, I stood with my back to Georgia’s bedroom window.  This is the view from her bedroom, and it looks out onto a place where she found much inspiration a place she called The White Place.  To spot it in this image, look for the white streak in the midst of the brown-beige hills in the center (sort of) of the image.  I’ll chat more about The White Place in a subsequent blog post.
Winter Tree and Inspiration
One of my favorite series of paintings by Georgia O’Keeffe is her Winter Tree series.  She painted those trees as they appeared to her mind’s eye in the winter season in the 1950’s.  However, we were here in the almost summer, so you’ll need to use some imagination to see the cottonwood trees and how they inspired this series of paintings.  I am looking straight on to the cottonwoods that she painted.
Georgia O’Keeffe’s Winter Road and Inspiration
Georgia also painted a few abstracts that she called Winter Road during the 1960s.  The road, NM 84, just down from her home in Abiquiu, was the inspiration for this series.  I was standing in a similar spot to where she must have stood when she painted the painting I’ve shown in this picture.  If you look closely, you can see how the road & painting mimic each other.  I honestly admire her creativity for this series.  I don’t know if I would have ever been inspired to paint based on a curvy road!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment